Roughly 20 percent of adults in the US suffer from seasonal allergies. Most people reach for an over-the-counter (OTC) or prescription medication to address the runny nose, itchy/watery eyes, sinus congestion, headache and breathing difficulties they experience. This post will address how you can identify and eliminate the most likely causes of your seasonal allergies – and it’s not the pollen count. (more…)
Most of us like our jobs (or at least something about our jobs 🙂 ), but there will inevitably be some degree of discord or discontent during any given workday. Since stress in the workplace is a major factor in our overall health, we wanted to cover some proven, effective strategies to deal with stress in the workplace.
This post comes to us from our friends at Natural Path Health Center.
The B vitamins area complex group of compounds that cannot be synthesized within the body in sufficient quantities to support optimal health and therefore, must be obtained through the diet. (more…)
Stress Response: Fight or Flight
- The heart beat increases to pump blood to all of the necessary tissues with greater speed
- As the heart rate increases so does blood pressure
- Breathing becomes rapid and shallow
- Adrenaline hormones are released from the adrenal gland
- Liver releases stored sugar to meet the increased need for energy
- Pupils dilate and senses become heightened
- Muscles tense for movement
- Blood flow is restricted from the digestive tract
- Blood flow is increased to the brain and major muscles
- Blood flow is constricted from the extremities
- Body perspires to cool itself
Adaptation and resistance phase
The adrenals now release corticosteroids that help provide energy and the specific circulatory changes (glucocorticoids help to keep blood sugar stable and mineral corticoids help us retain sodium which helps our body maintain an elevated blood pressure).
With the unabated production of corticosteroids, organs and organ systems become weak and may cease to function.
Did you know?
70-80% of all visits to the doctor are related to stress
• Stress contributes to 50% of all illnesses in the US
• The cost of job stress in the US is estimated at over 200 billion
dollars annually, including the cost of absenteeism, lost
productivity and insurance claims
Many people know that yoga has numerous health benefits. However, most people do not know that there are simple and easy yoga poses that can actually help improve digestion.
The overall point of yoga is to find a conscious balance in our lives and make everything we do sacred. Outside of the actual practice of yoga poses, this means to try and have meals in comfortable environments and to use food for its intended purpose: as fuel for the fire of our physical and spiritual transformation.